Draped in Mayan heritage with acres of unspoiled coastal land, Costa Maya is filled with rich, cultural influence and vast, natural beauty. Part of the Mexican Caribbean, Costa Maya has the highest concentration of Mayan archaeological sites and the largest Mayan population in Mexico. Follow the footprints that lead you into the historical past that make up this spectacular city!
Costa Maya, Mexico
An ancient maritime trading post of the Mayan empire, Costa Maya offers visitors a chance to explore its ancient relics and travel through the tropical vegetation that surrounds impeccable, historical sites.
Chacchoben Mayan Ruins in Mexico
Beaches of Costa Maya
- Costa Maya is a small tourist region located in the Quintana Roo state of Mexico.
- The area of Costa Maya was one of the most powerful regions in the Mayan world, with large cities, sophisticated ceremonial centres, and big residential areas for the ruling classes. Some of these areas feature extensive infrastructure work and artificial systems for the collection of water, demonstrating the greatness that was the Mayan region of Mexico.
- In the city of Chetumal, take a tour of the Temple of Masks, or visit the city of Kinichna and walk around the archaeological site to marvel at its monumental three-level, completely symmetrical Acropolis.
- When you aren’t exploring the ancient artifacts and historical landmarks, relax at Maya Chan Beach or Mahahual Beach. Enjoy the cascading shades of turquoise blue that make up the pristine waters of Costa Maya or lounge in a beach chair basking in the hot sun with a tropical drink in hand.
- There are numerous other activities to partake in while in this beautiful city. Visit Chinchorro Bank, the largest coral atoll in the Northern Hemisphere or get in touch with one of the greatest biodiversities in the world on the Biosphere Reserve of Sian Ka’an. Snorkel and dive along the second largest barrier reef in the world or observe marine turtles laying their eggs along Puerto Angel’s beach. The opportunities are endless.
- There are around 15 restaurants and bars in and around Mahahual and Costa Maya, so you’ll always be able to get fresh, fish tacos and cold drinks day and night.
- Costa Maya is a colourful city filled with exciting activities to immerse oneself in the Mayan and Mexican Caribbean cultures.