Voyages of Discovery is looking ahead to summer 2013 with a new brochure featuring more unique itinerary choices and special interest cruises in its two ships and a special offer for guests who book early.
The new Summer 2013 Cruise Collection features exciting itineraries with more than 22 new ports of call on cruises on the 550-passenger Voyager , which joined the fleet at the end of 2012, and the 650-passenger Discovery, which is undergoing extensive refurbishments to feature 86 percent outside accommodations and 35 suites – 30 with outside balconies. Both ships will offer comfort and space while maintaining the ability to access the remote, out-of-the-way ports that are at the center of Voyage of Discovery’s destination-led cruising.
Guests who book from the 2013 Summer brochure by July 31, 2012 will receive 15% off the early booking fares. All fares cited are per person, based on double occupancy, and subject to availability.
For the first time, Voyages of Discovery will have two ships sailing into the same regions, offering travellers a wider selection of itineraries. Both Discovery and Voyager launch the 2013 summer season with round-trip cruises from London, England to the British Isles, Northern Europe and the Baltic. Discovery will also sail in Russia’s White Sea region, overnighting at the rarely visited Solovetsky Islands during a 19-day Summer Solstice & White Sea cruise that sails roundtrip from London, departing June 16; fares start at US$2,804.
Both ships will sail into the Mediterranean regions in the autumn, with itineraries that include visits to new ports such as Valencia, Spain; Sibenik, Croatia; Patmos, Kavala and Thessaloniki, Greece; and Monaco.
Black Sea explorations have consistently been very popular so both Discovery and Voyager will be visiting that region with itineraries that are sure to sell out quickly:
- Treasures of the Black Sea: Sites of conquests that resulted in religious and political change abound on a 12-day cruise on Discovery departing Istanbul Oct. 17, 2013 and calling in Trabzon; Sochi and Novorossiysk, Russia; Yalta, Sevastopol and Odessa, Ukraine; and Canakkale, Turkey before arriving in Bodrum. Fares from $1,784.
- In the Wake of the Argonauts: Discover sites from Greek mythology, Russian palaces and cities that were once behind the Iron Curtain on an 11-day cruise in Discovery departing Athens Oct. 7, 2013 and calling at Volos; Canakkale, Turkey; Nesebur, Bulgaria; Odessa, Sevastopol and Yalta, Ukraine; and Istanbul. Fares from $1,529.
- The Legendary Black Sea: Voyager traces the history of the Black Sea region and visits ancient ports along the legendary coastline while sailing roundtrip from Istanbul on a 14-day cruise that departs Oct. 8, 2013. Port calls include Nesebur, Odessa, Sevastopol, Yalta, Feodosiya, Novorossiysk, Sochi, Batumi and Trabzon. Fares begin $2,039.
Discovery also takes guests on a 23-day Grand Mediterranean and Black Sea Discovery voyage that departs Sept. 25. Fares from $2,974.
Other summer 2013 itineraries include:
- Mediterranean Odyssey: Blend the cosmopolitan and the classic on a 13-day cruise in Discovery, departing Barcelona Sept. 25, 2013 and calling in Portoferraio, Trapani and the new port calls in Monaco, Bastia and Syracuse before arriving in Athens. Fares from $1,529 – less than $125 per day!
- Baltic Classics & Tall Ships Race: 15-day round-trip cruise in Discovery from London, departing July 23, 2013 and calling in Copenhagen, Stockholm, Helsinki, overnight in St. Petersburg, Tallinn, Sassnitz, Kiel Canal transit and a call in Szczecin, Poland just in time for the legendary Tall Ships Race and the Golden Age of Sail. Fares from $2,039.
- Celtic Footprints & The Edinburgh Tattoo: Delve deep into the history, heritage and tradition of cultural cities, palaces and castles while visiting legend-haunted islands, dramatic seascapes and breathtaking landscapes on this 13-day roundtrip cruise from London in Discovery. Departing Aug. 6, 2013, the cruise calls at St. Helier, Plymouth, Dublin, Greenock, Portree, Stornaway, Lerwick, Kirkwall, Scrabster and Rosyth. Fares from $1,869.
In addition to two “Footloose” walking-themed cruises accompanied by expert tour guides on Iconic Norwegian Fjords (Aug. 18, 2013) and Celtic Treasures (May 25, 2013), Voyages of Discovery’s expanded selection of special interest cruises for summer 2013 includes the following:
- A Baltic Symphony: A 14-day round-trip musically themed cruise in Discovery from London departing May 22, 2013, this cruise features classical concerts, musical talks, tailored shore excursions and musical artists including the Auralio String Quartet. Calls in Copenhagen, Turku, Tallinn, St. Petersburg (overnight), Gdynia and Warnemunder, as well as a Kiel Canal transit. Fares from $1,869.
- French Connoisseur: This 10-day wine appreciation cruise on Voyager sails round-trip from London, departing June 2, 2013. Wine expert Jilly Goolden leads the wine-related discovery, with calls in Bordeaux, La Rochelle, Nantes and Rouen and the chance to tour vineyards and wine makers, including the famed Grand Cru classe chateaux in Bordeaux. Fares from $1,359.
Both Voyager and Discovery offer the line’s signature elements of distinctive itineraries that blend world-class sites with smaller “hidden gems” and longer port stays. Fares include a distinguished guest speaker programme, enrichment workshops, all meals including cocktail parties and gala dinners, entertainment, and service fees for onboard bar and spa purchases.